ABOUT THE BALTIMORE CANNONS

The Cannons are the latest, and most successful, club to play in Baltimore. The city's first foray into the ranks of professional baseball was with the Baltimore Bannermen in 1881. The Bannermen were terrible and eventually moved out of Baltimore, down the road to the nation's capital where they live on as the Washington Eagles. Pro baseball returned to Baltimore in 1890 when the Clippers were born. Ironically, the man who owned the original Bannermen, James Banner, was the grandfather of the man who purchased the-then Baltimore Clippers in 1913, Oscar Banner. The younger Banner renamed Hilyard Park for his family (as Banner Field), was involved in trading the franchise's greatest player (Powell Slocum) in 1924 and renamed the team from the Clippers to the Cannons in 1925, claiming he wanted a fresh start for his ballclub.